General Manager (220859) Masters Material Science, Bachelors Metallurgical Engineering, Black Belt / Metals, Engineered Tube, Wire Mfg / Investment, Continuous, Green Sand, Permanent Mold Casting/ Tier 1, 2 Automotive / Will relo
Exceptional Manufacturing Leader with 20+ years of experience in metal products. He has a Masters in Materials Science; a Bachelors in Metallurgical Engineering and is a Six Sigma Black Belt, He is a results-oriented engineer and team builder who is skilled at identifying a diverse team’s strengths and weaknesses and coaching them for success. He has led teams of up to 150 people and has deployed Continuous Improvement programs across a 950-member site. He has trained and mentored a lot of Green Belts and has used Hoshin Kanri methods to drive progress and action at every level toward the company’s goals.
Due to a severe loss of base business, his last employer restructured and eliminated all their General Manager roles so he is seeking a new leadership role. His leadership track record, education, and casting metals industry experience make him a strong candidate for you. His notable experience includes:
• Lead growth efforts in automotive, transformer, and diversified products throughout the company
• Managed two new product introductions worth 2X revenue,
• Team established a process for merging process data from equipment to MRP to the effective use of OEE measurement
• Led APQP teams to the completion of 15 new product launches
• Achieve IATF Automotive Quality standard in Technology labs
• Integrated manufacturing excellence platform and OEE systems at manufacturing locations
• Implemented ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management system in 9 months via use of Mean Time between Events (MTBE) and effective use of outsourced talent.
• Taught two waves of green belt students on DMAIC green belt curriculum. (24 students)
• Mentored 17 green belt students with both in-process and new project charters.
• Mentored 11 completed green belt projects in safety, quality, variable cost reduction, on-time delivery, and project management.
• Led, facilitated, or coordinated 21 3P/Kaizen events involving major capital expansion, quality, safety, production throughput, delivery, equipment uptime, PM/PdM optimization, and plant capacity.
o Expansion of testing lab to meet sales forecast.
o Expansion of Casting Capacity to meet sales forecast.
o Reduction of ID/Traceability risk in all departments.
o Increased throughput to forecast levels in the work cell.
o Reduced ergonomic risk by 75% for employees in the testing lab.
o Optimized PM/PdM’s in the bottleneck work center.
• Successfully led the implementation of a new $38M casting process capital project using the latest technologies.
• Improved setup time by reducing travel time to the machines. 45 minutes down to 30 minutes.
• Managed team to 25% ROI and highest operating income in the division
• Managed team implementation of Alcoa-based Safety culture; reduced SIIR from 15 to 2
• Consistently achieved the highest performance metrics in Division for scrap, productivity, and product development
• Responsible for purchase, installation, commissioning, and training of manufacturing technology at Greenfield Plant JV in China in Changshu, Jiangsu province, China.
o Designed layout, purchased, installed, and commissioned 50% of equipment in 200,000 ft2 factory, including a new copper forming technology.
• Transfer new insulation process to Monterrey, MX facility in 3 months.
• Implemented Division Quality Platform with Malcolm Baldridge program expectations and built upon ISO-9000 foundation.
o Led team to achieve 75% reduction in customer quality rejections, 63% reduction in internal rejections, and 25% scrap reduction.
• Implemented Lean Foundation and fostered an environment for Lean Continuous Improvement.
o Developed Lean Engineer and tailored hires to help reduce the skills gap
o Implemented 5S in insulating department
o Implemented VFM in warehouses and WIP areas
o Kaizen events to reduce interference waste associated with multiple machines per operator
• Implemented a Two-Tiered wage system for production employees resulting in 32% labor savings per employee.
• Decreased electrical costs in the facility by $0.02/Kwh.
• ROI 25% on average and maintained 95% (all customers)
o Develop a culture of flexing hours and schedule of both floor and office personnel to deliver planned and unplanned customer expectations.
• Team Leadership (150)
• Investment Casting – Spokane Ind, SCAFCO
• Continuous Casting Copper Rod
• Lost Wax Casting – Spokane Ind
• Permanent Mold Casting – Spokane Ind
• Green Sand Casting – Spokane Ind
• Aluminum Manufacturing
• Non-Ferrous Metallurgy
• Ferrous Metallurgy
• Heat Treating
• Ensuring Dimensional
• Aging Heat Treatment
• Selective Heat Treating
• Pouring Operations
• Tier 1, Tier 2 Automotive
• Batch Furnaces Reducing Equipment Setup Time
• Ford Q1
• Product Engineering
• Product Launch Activities
• 6S Experience
• A3 Experience
• Achieving Cost Reduction
• Conducting Design Reviews
• Continuous Improvement Goals
• Corrective Action
• Cost Estimating
• Achieving Cost Reduction
• Design / Layout
• Design Of Experiments (DOE)
• Developing Cost Effective Manufacturing Processes
• Value Stream Mapping
• Visual Systems
• Engineering Management experience
• FIFO Staging
• Gage R&R
• Control Charts
• Create / Process FMEAs
• Electric Discharge Machining – ETI,
• Engineering Change Notification
• Improving Manufacturing Methods
• Team builder
• Lean Six Sigma Engineering
• Strategy Deployment (Hoshin Kanri)
• ERP Implementation
• Communication to diverse audiences
• People development
• ISO 9001 Implementation
• International Greenfield Plant
• P&L Accountability
• Safety & Environmental Management (ISO 14001 implementation)
• Organization Structure & Succession planning
• MS, Materials Science & Engineering, Florida Atlantic University
• BS, Metallurgical Engineering (, Michigan Technological University
• Six Sigma Black Belt, Asea Brown Boveri (ABB) (1997)
• Coaching, Effective Plant Management; American Management Association (2000)
• Finance/Accounting for the Non-Financial Executive, Wharton School of Business, Univ. of Pennsylvania (2001)
• Effective Negotiating, Karass (2001)
• Shift Scheduling Strategies, Circadian (2002)
• Alcoa Health & Safety Management System (2002)
• Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, BMGI (2013)
• Certificate for the Emotionally Intelligent Leader Weatherhead School of Management (2019)
• Lean Manufacturing Principles, CONNSTEP (2004)
• OSHA 501 10 Hr (2010)
• Pimsleur Mandarin I (2011)/Rosetta Stone Mandarin 2+ (2013)
• Crucial Conversations (2012)
• Response Surface Methodologies (2013)
• Internal Auditor Training (2015)
• Priority Planning (2018)
• Executive 360 Coaching (2018)
• Rosetta Stone Spanish (2019)
• Wazzump! Program (2020-2022)